Monday, August 25, 2008

Mother of the Year Award


It is true that I have had several moments in my life that have truly put me in the running for the "White Trash Mother of the Year Award". This week I had yet another of those shining moments. Let's review the previous winners. The time Luke took his battery powered Jeep at the age of 2 to the drive-up window at McDonalds. The time that Zac took his battery powered Jeep to the golf course and was busted by a DCFS case worker. (just my luck) So on to our most current example of my exemplary skills as a mother. Jake was wakeboarding about 3 weeks ago and took a nasty spill and said he hurt his foot. We said "it will be fine, just give it some time you probably bruised it or something." He limped through the next 3 weeks only complaining occasionally about the pain. He would ask for a heating pad now and again. He would come in from jumping on the tramp and say it hurt so we would tell him not to jump on the tramp. A few days ago I noticed him still limping on it after a pretty relaxing day so again I asked him if it still hurt. He said "a little" so I told him to take it easy for a few days. We iced it and elevated it (when he wasn't running around on it) and I made him ditch the Vans for a sturdier shoe. Well, my guilty conscience got the best of me and we finally got it x-ray'd only to find out that he indeed has a 3 week old fracture that is trying its best to heal. The good news is that he is so far along in the 'healing' process that he only has to wear a soft cast for 2 - 3 weeks. That will put a bit of a kink in his end of the summer boarding but it shoudn't interfere with his fall baseball league. Please, if you are my true friends you will keep this story between us because DCFS already has a file on me. Go bust some meth cookers for crying out loud and leave me alone!

1 comment:

Jodi Collins said...

You are a great mother! We all have stories like that - I think it helps put us in our place.