Saturday, November 19, 2011

Vegas for Veterans Day




I realize that I do waaaay to many baseball posts. I really do try to even it out with other things, I promise. Jake has been living and breathing this sport since he was 7 years old. He has played on a few different teams but eventually settled comfortably into the 'Rebels' when Wade took the leap and decided to coach. They have steadily improved as a team, dropping and picking up players when necessary, and basically practicing their butts off year round.


They play in about 1 tournament a month. We have traveled all throughout the state of Utah, into Arizona and Nevada. For some reason unbeknown to us that elusive First place has been frustratingly out of our reach. Always going home with 2nd or 3rd place. Until now that is....


We decided earlier in the year it would be fun to go to Vegas in the Fall to play at the Big League Dream Park. We paid our $500 registration fees, rented a house, packed up the truck and hit the road. 4 Pool play games were challenging but our boys played flawless defense, and our deep pitching bench held up. On to championship day with a 1 seed. We were excited, but had been here so many times before that we were also carefully optimistic.


Well, the old saying 'Hard work pays off' finally came true. The Rebels went to war with a Nevada team and a California team. They won both games by a margin of 1. They were both immensely intense games. I was a pacing, nail biting, photo taking, nightmare bundle of nerves. I wanted it so bad for them I could taste it. When that final run was scored to end the game I literally dropped to my knees and cried. Have you ever wanted something so bad for your kids and you finally see them achieve it and it brings you to your knees? Incredible feeling.


I'm glad it didn't come easy. I'm glad they had to work hard for it. It makes victory so much sweeter when there is blood, sweat and tears to back it up. Way to go Rebels. This Rebel mom is Proud as a Peacock!

No comments: