Friday, September 23, 2011

The game of Golf






Ahhh, finally a sports post about something other than Baseball.


Luke is my golfer. I love that he is a golfer. The game of golf teaches so many valuable lessons applicable to everyday life. Stress management, how to work as a team, how to work alone, how to be a leader, how to power through when you've really screwed something up, competition, physical fitness to the extreme (did you know walking 18 holes is usually 6 miles!), inner calmness, and a myriad of other things that I don't even know about because I don't golf often enough.


I love golfing with Luke. He is a patient and kind teacher even though his pupil may be less than desirable. I truly believe that golf courses are the most beautiful places on this earth (next to beaches). It's quiet, green, and lovely. Until someone drops an f-bomb and a hybrid club comes flying through the tree line towards your head.


It's been a challenge to get pictures of Luke golfing in tournaments.
1. Because of that 6 miles mentioned above.
2. Because every dang tournament happens to fall on a day I work.
3. Because the sound of camera's and mom yelling 'Cheese' are very unwelcome in this serene backdrop.


Finally I made it happen though. He had a High School tournament at Hobble Creek Golf Course a few weeks ago so I planned accordingly and followed him for the 6 miles and 6 hours of entertainment. My Dad joined me for this sojourn because he has been a huge part in Luke's golf education. They have spent countless hours together learning the in's and out's of this sport. They often sneak away to St. George for a weekend of nothing but.


Currently his team is in second place in their region, behind by 15 strokes. They have one more regular season match at Soldier Hollow next week, then it's on to State

Keep up the good work bud. Someday I'll be coming to watch you play in Ireland or Hawaii or something.
Go MMHS!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

These are such beautiful pictures. I love any picture with a golf course as its background.
Drew loves to golf as well. As I was reading all the things that you wrote about golf like: stress management, leadership, teamwork, etc. I was shaking my head in agreement.
Luke looks classy on the golf course. Its such a sophisticated sport.
Love the post, love the pictures, love you!